Sunday, January 20, 2019

Rabi’ah al-`Adawiyah

Photo

There is a Masjid in Egypt that's called Rabi’ah al-‘Adawiyah. This Masjid is named after the amazing personality - Rabi’ah, she was a 2nd century devout worshipper (‘abidah) from Basra, who was loved, respected, and revered by all those around her; from scholars to lay men, women, and children, from rulers to village-dwellers.
Today, that Masjid continues her legacy as it shelters and holds countless oppressed worshippers in Nasr City, Cairo; burying its martyrs, feeding its poor, and sheltering its oppressed.

To know alittle about this amazing personality, below translated are a few paragraphs from her biography in the books of Siyar for those not well-acquainted with her words of wisdom:


Rabi’ah al-`Adawiyah

Ibn ‘Asim and Riyah al-Qaysi reported: “We witnessed a man going to Rabi’ah al-‘Adawiyah and giving her forty Dinar. He said to her, “Use this to serve your needs.” She wept and raised her head to the sky saying, “He Knows that I am too shy of asking Him for the Duniya although He owns it, so how can I seek to take it from someone who doesn’t even own it?”

§-§


Al-‘Abbad ibn al-Walid said, “Rabi’ah used to say, “Astaghfirullah (‘I seek the forgiveness of Allah) for the lack of truth in my saying ‘Astaghfirullah’.””

§-§

Sajaf ibn Mandhur: “I went to Rabi’ah while she was in prostration, and when she felt I was there, she lifted her head. There was a mark of prostration on her forehead looking like that of a murky pond due to her tears. I greeted her and she came to me saying, “O my son, do you have a need?” I said, “I only came to give you salaam (greeting).” She wept and said, “O Allah, conceal me.” She then supplicated with various supplications and got up to pray, and I left.”

§-§

Riyah al-Qaysi, Salih ibn ‘Abd al-Jalil, and Kilab went to Rabi’ah one day and began to mention the Dunya, criticising it and dispraising it. Rabi’ah said to them, “I see this world and its four corners present in your hearts.” They said, “And how do you know?!” She said, “You saw the closest thing to your hearts and began to talk about it!”

§-§

‘Abis ibn Marhum al-‘Attar said, “`Abdah bint Abi Shawwal was from the best of the women worshippers of Allah and she used to serve Rabi’ah. She said to me, “Rabi’ah would pray the whole night and just before Fajr (dawn) came, she would lie down for a light nap until Fajr came in. I would hear her jump from her sleep saying, “O soul, how long will you sleep for? When will you get up? I fear you will sleep such that nothing gets you up other than the screams of the Day of Rising!”

§-§

It was once said to Rabi’ah, “Have you ever done a deed that you saw to be accepted?” She said, “If there ever was, then I fear it is rejected.”

§-§

Sufyan al-Thawri was in front of Rabi’ah when he said, “Alas for the sadness!” She replied, “Don’t lie. Rather say: ‘Alas for the lack of sadness!’ For if you were truly sad, then life would not be so sweet for you.”

§-§

A man once said to her, “Make du’a for me.” She leaned against a wall said, “My Allah have mercy on you. Who am I? Rather obey your Lord and ask Him, for He indeed answers the call of the distressed.”


[Taken from ‘al-Atqiya’ al-Akhfiya’, by Shaykh Sa’id ‘Abd al-‘Adhim]

No comments:

Post a Comment