Thursday, July 21, 2016

ARTICLE: CIA"s first Captive describes his Torture!


HIGHLIGHTS FROM ARTICLE:

- In the evening, while he was held captive at a secret CIA black site in Thailand, the high-value detainee Zayn al-Ibidin Muhammed Husayn said his interrogators would torture him by confining him to a large, six-foot-tall black wooden box in "extremely uncomfortably positions." Other times, they would force him to spend hours in a small "dog box."

- The detainee, better known by his surname, Abu Zubaydah, said he was deprived of "adequate air" and food in the boxes while an "extreme noise machine nearby" tormented him.

- This was the start of "my most painful and cruel period of torture," Abu Zubaydah said. The "pain in the small box was unbearable. I was hunched over in a contorted way and my back and knees were in excruciating pain. I began slamming my body and shackled arms against the inside and screaming for help and tried to break the door. The wound in my stomach and leg opened up and I started bleeding, yet I didn't care. I would do anything to stretch my leg and back for one minute."

- It's a significant development, and especially noteworthy given that Abu Zubaydah was never supposed to see the light of day. Indeed, in the Senate Intelligence Committee's torture report, CIA interrogators asked in a cable for "reasonable assurances" that he would "remain in isolation and incommunicado for the remainder of his life" if he did not die during his interrogation.

"All of the techniques were applied to him. In fact, no one else endured all the techniques," said Joseph Margulies, one of Abu Zubaydah"s attorneys, in past interviews.

- The most controversial of the 10, the waterboard, was administered over the course of a week, Abu Zubaydah said, "as best as I can remember." He said he was strapped to the waterboard by guards with "black costumes, masks, and black goggles."
"My mouth and nose and eyes were covered by a cloth," he said. "The board — and my body — were placed horizontally. My head was immobilized by a board. Someone poured over the cloth, which entered my mouth and nose. I could hear one water bottle empty out by the gurgling noise it made; I hoped that would end the process, then I heard another bottle start to pour. Water would enter into my lungs. It felt like my whole body was filled with water; even my eyes felt like they were drowning."
Abu Zubaydah went on to say that he started to experience "the panicked sensation of death" and his body "convulsed in terror and resistance."
"I thought, 'I will die. I will die.' I lost control of my functions and urinated on myself," he said.
The Senate Intelligence Committee's torture report revealed that at one point during his waterboarding session, Abu Zubaydah became "completely unresponsive, with bubbles rising through his open, full mouth." He had to be resuscitated.

- In his declaration, Abu Zubaydah said he also endured constant sleep deprivation, was shackled to a chair naked in freezing temperatures for two to three weeks, was "bombarded with high-decibel noise," and deprived of solid food.

- When he was subjected to the technique known as "walling," in which a detainee is slammed into a "flexible" wall in order to "shock" or "surprise" the captive, Abu Zubaydah said his interrogators repeatedly shouted questions at him, which the government redacted.

- He said one of the interrogators slammed him against the concrete wall, "hitting my head repeatedly."
"[The interrogator] said something like, 'Are you ready to talk? Now we are going to tell you how real interrogation is done!'"
After being subjected to marathon interrogation and torture sessions, Abu Zubaydah said he asked his interrogators, "Tell me what you want me to say, I will say!" Sometimes, he acknowledged, he "just said things that were false and that I had no basis to know or believe, simply to get relief from the pain."

TO READ ENTIRE ARTICLE AND REPORT, CLICK SOURCE:
This is how the CIA's first captive after 9/11 described his years of torture | VICE News

No comments:

Post a Comment