Saturday, June 8, 2013

Personalities that Attracted Me to Islam

Submitted By: Sr. Eiliyah (Ellen) Keim

For all Muslims, Ramadan is a special time. Many Muslims look forward to the arrival of this special month. Allaah states in the Qur’aan about Ramadan:

“The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong)…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]
This ayah applies to by life in so many ways.

In the last day of Ramadan 2009, I became a Muslim. From that day on, my life transformed forever.

By my side when I said my Shahada were my new best friends, Haind and Amal. Those two, along with Abdallah, are the three main people who introduced me to Islam. Allaah guided me to Islam through these pious Muslims.

That journey began when I met several Muslims from Libya who were studying at the test preparation company I work for. The Muslims were so friendly and cheerful that I found myself drawn to them. They had wonderful personalities that attracted me indeed.

It is no shock that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said,
“The best of the Believers is the most excellent of them in character.” (Ibn Majah, Sahih)

I am not surprised that this is a teaching of Islam. I witnessed the best of character from the Muslims I associated with. From that, Allaah inspired me.
 


As a way to get closer to them--and I see now, as a way to feel closer to their religion--I decided that I wanted to learn some Arabic. One of the students, Abdallah, volunteered to teach me for free.

“The best of people are those that bring most benefit to the rest of mankind.” (Daraqutni, Hasan)

I indeed benefited tremendously from these wonderful kind hearted Muslims, may Allaah reward them greatly.

Learning some basic phrases brought me even closer to these students. One of them, Haind, asked if I would meet with her and help her with her English conversation. During these meetings, and my lessons with Abdallah, I managed to always turn the conversation around to Islam. I was so curious and they were more than willing to patiently answer all of my questions.

One night I had a dream. This dream would make an imprint in me.

I had a dream that I went to a bazaar. I started putting on Muslim clothing which I didn't pay for. The feeling of peace I had during that dream stayed with me for days...

I finally revealed my dream to Haind and Abdallah and told them that I thought the dream meant that I wanted to become a Muslim.

Without pressuring me, they encouraged me to explore my feelings and made it clear that they would always be there for me. In a matter of weeks I had made my decision …. I said my Shahada.

In the period immediately following Ramadan, I was overwhelmed by all that I needed to learn. Haind and Amal, another student, taught me to pray and took me to the masjid to familiarize me with my new religion (or the rediscovery of my old one!). Haind in particular has made it her mission to answer my questions, correct my pronunciation, and instruct me in the finer points of Islam.

The other Muslims I met at work also helped me a lot. As soon as I became a Muslim, one of them transliterated the Fatiha for me, which was a tremendous help.

Others have provided me with literature and websites that will further my study of the Qur'an.They all welcomed me into the family of Islam and embraced me as their sister.

I am amazed at Allah's provisions for me. I can't get over how fortunate it was that I was presented with this ready-made Muslim family and community. How many converts get that experience? I have been able to work closely with devout Muslims who have inspired me by their faithfulness and generosity.

Brothers and Sisters in Islam, always try your best to show your best character to the ones who are non-Muslim, as you should to your Muslim brothers and sisters. Your character and manners may encourage someone to look into Islam !

Imagine Allaah guides someone to Islam through you !... Through your good manners !... Through your good character !... Subhan’Allaah ! Imagine the rewards that Allaah will have for you if Allaah attracts someone to Islam through you …

It is possible.. it happened to me.

I still struggle with getting all my prayers done every day and I have not yet started to wear hijab. However, with the help of Allaah, I am getting closer to Him. I am struggling to live the life He wants me to. Alhamdulillah!

I will continue to struggle in trying to follow the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and I refuse to give up ! I want to please Allaah, as he is the Only One who is deserved to be worshiped.

Allah, the Exalted, says:
"As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely, guide them to Our paths (i.e., Allah's religion - Islamic Monotheism). And verily, Allah is with the Muhsinun (good doers)". (29:69)

I am a work in progress, but some day I hope to become as close as I can to being an "Ideal Muslimah,".

No comments:

Post a Comment